Thursday, June 16, 2011

Not Safe for Work language in a statement by a New York State Senator:

I know that much isn't unusual, but what he's saying is interesting enough to point y'all at it.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/gavon/republican-new-york-senator-comes-out-for-gay-marr

My position on the issue?  Let non-heterosexuals marry if they want to.  They are citizens and taxpayers and people, and should be allowed to practice milestone rituals like marriage.  To those who are against non-traditional marriage, I say: "Don't have one."

This issue is not about protecting a tradition so that it may be passed down to our descendants intact and somehow sacred.  Marriage in this country has already been dragged down a lot of harsh road long enough to be scraps and tatters of what it could be... for those who actually honour the institution.

This fight is about preserving the illusion of control over this nation's evolution, and the threat changes trigger in some sectors of the populace.

To those who say "God" says gays shouldn't get married, I suggest a return to all the "do" exhortations from Diety and Prophets -via your sacred texts- instead of a lifetime spent raging against one of the "don't" concepts.  I won't say whether that specific article of faith is valid or not, because I'm not in charge of those religions.  I speak only for myself.

Besides, this is America.  Your fellow citizens are honour-bounbd to respect your freedom of religion, so maybe you should honour their freedom from your religion.

No comments:

Post a Comment